Total Pageviews

Thursday, February 24, 2011

Culinary School

Well I want to be a chef. I know after most people get out of Culinary school they dont become chefs automatically you still have to work your way up there in this Culinary Industry Chain.  I dont know what I should do.  I want to get a degree in Culinary arts and a minor in Hotel and Restaurant management.   I dont know if I should get as bachelors Degree or an associates.  Should I got to Arts Institute or a Community College.  There are  a million things going through my mind.  I dont want to spend 80,000 on a school because when I come out I will be in debt.  So I guess I should go to a community College because I guess chefs look at experience more than a degree. 

2 comments:

  1. well, you could certainly go to culinary school. but you could also work you way up the old fashioned way (like i did). school will give you lots of knowledge but no experience. and most jobs you'd get coming out of school are pretty much what you're doing now. my advice is find a kitchen with some guys who have been there forever, and work there as long as you can, and learn from them, and pick their minds. at least you won't be in debt

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a degree in Hotel, restaurant management. i went to a great university and when anyone asks outside of the biz I say I have a management degree. Debt is a dumb fucking reason not to go to culinary school. I have being paying student loans off since 2003. it is like 50 bucks a month and can only help your credit score. Companies that monitor and make up credit scores give you more "points" for paying student loans then credit card charges. If you take the CC route you will not be in total shit, but some guy/girl with a student loan will probably be your boss. Check out FCI in NYC. They are producing some of the best young chefs around. You can be done in 6-9 months. CIA is good, but $$$$$$ and they are becoming more about quanity(of students) and less about quality(of the education).
    You can also take the Corey Lee path to superstar chefdom. He took the money for college and went to Europe and worked/learned from the best. He was the CDC at The French Laundry/Per Se and now has his own place in SanFran. If a Eurpoean 3-star chefs gives you a letter of recommendation you can do anything in this business.
    No matter what you do you should find the best restaurant in the your area and get a job there. KNock on the kitchen door and talk to the Chef. If he says he will call you and doesn't, go back there over and over until he hires you. Even if you hit up CC work at the most amazing restaurant you can.

    ReplyDelete